Ottawa Real Estate Update July 2020
The Market is HOT HOT HOT August 7th, 2020
Market Snapshot: The numbers are up again as this past months unit sales increased 19% from this time last year!
Ottawa’s resale market offers solid returns for many Sellers, while Buyers continue to feel the squeeze. Those most impacted are especially those attempting to enter the housing market. Multiple offers are a common occurrence with over 57% of properties selling over the listing price compared to 33% of transactions last July.
If you’re considering a move we’re here to help answer any questions you have, in this market you’ll want a qualified, professional real estate company protecting your interests. Message us anytime! …
- Members of the Ottawa Real Estate Board sold 2,189 residential properties in July through the Board’s Multiple Listing Service® System, compared with 1,838 in July 2019, a year over year increase of 19 per cent.
- July’s sales included 1,646 in the residential-property class, up 19 per cent from a year ago, and 543 in the condominium-property category, an increase of 18 per cent from July 2019. The five-year average for July unit sales is 1,729.
“The resale market is not only holding its own but has surpassed 2019 figures by a significant margin,” states Ottawa Real Estate President Deborah Burgoyne. “Summer usually slows down; however, after the pandemic curtailed the spring market this year, we have rebounded well beyond expectations. It is somewhat surprising given continuing inventory shortages and the extra diligence and precautions being taken by our Members and their clients to ensure everyone’s safety in the process.
- July’s average sale price for a condominium-class property was $357,764, an increase of 19 per cent from this time last year while the average sale price of a residential-class property was $585,084, an increase of 20 per cent from a year ago.
- With year to date average sale prices at $560,836 for residential and $352,847 for condominiums, these values represent a 16 per cent and 18 percent increase over 2019, respectively. *
- We’re still seeing a strong Sellers Market Ottawa’s resale market, multiple offers are a common occurrence with over 57% of properties selling over the listing price compared to 33% of transactions last July.
“With a market that is now characterized as hot, the question posed by clients, media and the public alike is, “when or where this will all end?” Since this is a newer phenomenon for the Ottawa market, which is typically very steady and predictable, we can look to other larger cities that have seen this type of sustained trajectory. As long as we have demand outpacing supply, this will continue,” OREB president emphasizes.
Royal LePage Team Realty
1723 Carling Ave.
Canada K2A 1C8
Toll Free: 1-800-307-1545
The trade marks displayed on this site, including CREA®, MLS®, Multiple Listing Service®, and the associated logos and design marks are owned by the Canadian Real Estate Association. REALTOR® is a trade mark of REALTOR® Canada Inc., a corporation owned by Canadian Real Estate Association and the National Association of REALTORS®. Other trade marks may be owned by real estate boards and other third parties. Nothing contained on this site gives any user the right or license to use any trade mark displayed on this site without the express permission of the owner.
©Royal LePage TEAM REALTY